Week of January 13th 17th, 2020
Nuestro Video del Fin de Semana
- Emerging currencies and markets have a good start. EEM / RSX / EWZ / EWW
- Concern about market concentration. In the late 90s, it was the same.
- Exploding up was the risk we discussed earlier. Here we are We have never had such a long economic cycle. This is the fear / problem.
- Problems of Brazil? The real continues to fall, affecting stocks and other investments. Retail sales were weak and inflation in December was much higher than expected.
- China, IP, retail sales and fourth quarter GDP was better than expected. Not everything is easy to believe but useful signs.
Bank earnings PPI, CPI and retail sales.
- The fourth quarter earnings season began with JPMorgan Chase publishing a 21% increase in earnings. Actions rose, fluctuated and rose again, driven by technology.
- As more records fell, Alphabet became the fourth American action to cross the bill of dollars market capitalization line. During the week, Dow industrialists rose 1.8% to 29,348.10; the S&P 500 advanced 2%, to 3329.62; and the Nasdaq compound gained 2.3%, to 9388.94
- However, other metrics show that the market is really in the process of merging. John Kolovos, chief market strategist at Macro Risk Advisors, notes that the 10-day moving average of the S&P 500, a measure of the index’s short-term trend, is more than 9.25% above its moving average of 200 days, long term measure
- The 50th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum meets in Davos, Switzerland. This year’s theme will be «Stakeholders for a coherent and sustainable world.